You spend hours researching your destination — from what to wear, hotspots to visit, what sites you want to see and even where you want to eat. Countless hours and prep time are devoted to making sure your getaway goes as smoothly as possible. Unfortunately, all of the planning in the world cannot account for flight delays, missed connections or dreaded airplane bathrooms (the worst).
Especially if you’re traveling internationally or on longer flights, what you pack in your carry-on becomes increasingly important. I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to travel to a number of destinations across the U.S. and all over the world, and when it comes to packing, I’ve definitely picked up a trick or two along the way. Here’s my list of the best carry-on necessities and beauty products that will have you looking fresh to death the moment you step off that plane, no matter what travel adventure you encounter along the way.
- The Weekender Tote by Everlane: I love this carry-on bag so much, I’ve devoted a whole blog post to it. It fits under an airplane seat, it fits in the overhead and it’s unbelievably chic.
- Make-Up Pouch: I always throw a smaller makeup pouch in my carry-on to hold all of my beauty necessities. And I do mean necessities. It’s true I pack my whole makeup case in my carry-on because I’ve spent way too much time (and money) curating my beauty collection to have it lost in a suitcase somewhere. However, it’s not convenient to dig out and lug across an airport or to an airplane bathroom when I want to freshen up. And if your beauty routine is anything like mine, it’s certainly too big to sit on the ledge of a tiny bathroom sink.A small, flexible makeup pouch is your best bet for traveling. You can easily carry it into a cramped bathroom when you need to freshen up between flights or before you arrive at your destination. It can even fit in your purse once you reach your destination for last-minute touch ups. (Come on, you need to look great for all of those vacation photos, right?)
- Drybar Triple Sec: I use Drybar’s Triple Sec on my hair every single day, but even if you’re already attached to your own hair products, this travel-sized product is the perfect addition to your travel beauty routine. It’s a texturizer, hairspray and dry shampoo all rolled into one. What more could you ask for?
- Fresh Nourishing Lip Balm: Airplanes are dry and icky, and it’s hard to stay hydrated when you’re traveling. You simply can’t travel without a great lip balm.
- Sephora Eye Makeup Remover: You know when you wakeup after a long night of drinking, dry mouthed with last night’s makeup smudged all over your face? If your answer is yes, you now know how it feels to wake up after falling asleep on a long flight. The worst part is that alcohol might not have even be involved. I always carry a sample size of eye makeup remover with me so I can remove the smudged eyeliner and mascara flakes off my face. You may feel like a zombie, but you don’t need to look one.
- Fresh Youth Preserve Face Cream: Again with the dry planes and dehydration. Your skin will be craving moisturizer and the fresh, cooling sensation of the Youth Preserve Face Cream will leave your skin feeling 1000 times better.
- Nars Blush: Blush is the number one beauty product I can’t live without. More specifically Nars blush. Purchase a travel size or scan Sephora for when they offer a sample to throw in your makeup pouch.
- Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara: After you remove that smudged mascara, you’re going to need to reapply. Other than moisturizer, blush and mascara the top two necessities for disembarking an international flight looking fresh faced and well rested.
- Flowerbomb Perfume by Viktor Rolf: A travel-sized, roller perfume is the perfect last minute touch for freshening up.
- While I didn’t link them below, it goes without saying that you’ll always want to pack a travel-sized toothpaste and toothbrush in your makeup brush. There’s nothing worse than fuzzy teeth.