This post for Garden Fresh Salsa is dedicated to my dear husband, who the only time I’ve ever seen him in the kitchen other than making boxed Mac & Cheese is when we make this salsa with my mom every year. (So you know it must be good.)
Fortunately for us, my mom has a beautiful garden and grows almost all of the produce we need, so this really is “garden fresh” salsa. And boy is it mouthwatering good.
For all of the canners out there, this recipe and process will seem easy for you. However, if you’re new to canning, don’t be intimidated. It’s actually fairly simple, it’s just a little time intensive. But trust me, the time investment is more than worth it, and it can be really fun if you make it a group effort.
Being this is garden fresh salsa, you can really add in anything from the garden you think would be good to include in your salsa. This particular recipe calls for 17 jalapeños and 3-4 habanero peppers (seeds included), so it definitely has a full-bodied flavor with a lot of kick. If you prefer a milder version, you can remove some of the pepper seeds or not use as many peppers.
- 5-Gallons of Tomatoes
- 8 Large Onions, chopped
- 17 Fresh Jalapeños Peppers, chopped
- 3-4 Habanero Peppers, chopped
- 4 tsp. Garlic, chopped
- 16-Ounce Jar Hot Taco Sauce
- 16-Ounce Jar Picante Salsa
- 12-Ounce Jar Pickled Jalepeño Slices
- 1 cup Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Canning Salt
- 1 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Pepper
- Drop tomatoes in boiling hot water for one minute.
- After one minute, remove the tomatoes and immediately place in cold water.
- Peel, core and chop tomatoes and place in roaster.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the roaster and stir. Cook 2-3 hours, stirring regularly. Let cool slightly.
- Skim off some of the juice out of the roaster for canning later, if you wish.
- Fill mason jars with salsa, and close lids.
- Place the jars in a large canning kettle and process in boiling hot water for 45 minutes.
- Remove the jars and let cool. Enjoy when ready!
- You will need a canning kettle, an 18-quart electric roaster and 18 quart-sized mason jars & lids.