Ladies, break out your best hats because the Derby is here. The Kentucky Derby is this Saturday, and just because we’re not southern doesn’t mean we can’t partake in the festivities. And if we’re being completely honest, we’ll accept any excuse to enjoy a cocktail before 5 pm.
The Mint Julep is the official cocktail of the Kentucky Derby. If you like bourbon, this is definitely the drink for you. Because I prefer something not quite as potent, I added a little raspberry twist to the traditional julep.
Try my recipe for the Raspberry Mint Julep:
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 4-8 fresh mint leaves
- 4-8 fresh raspberries
- Kentucky Bourbon
- raspberry liqueur (I used Chambord)
- crushed ice
- splash of simple sugar
- Muddle the sugar, mint leaves & raspberries in a tall glass.
- Fill with crushed ice.
- Fill glass with Kentucky Bourbon to taste. About 3/4 full.
- Top off with raspberry liqueur.
- Add a splash of simple sugar.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
- Simple sugar is made with equal parts sugar and water. Place sugar and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. When the sugar is completely dissolved, remove from heat. Let cool completely.